Table of Contents
When you take a video on your iPhone, it will save it as a MOV file. This type of format is not compatible with every device.
You can learn how to convert MOV to MP4 on iPhone devices. This process will help you play and edit any clips on any device you want to use.
You Might Also Like: Smartphone Tricks
How to Convert MOV to MP4 on iPhone Devices | Step-by-Step Guide
Convert a Video Manually on Your iPhone
There are a couple of built-in tools you can use to change a file from MOV to MP4 on your iPhone.
Convert the MOV to MP4 on the iMovie App
The first method you can use to learn how to convert MOV to MP4 on iPhone devices is the iMovie app. This software comes pre-installed on every iPhone.
The steps required to learn how to convert MOV to MP4 on iPhone devices are in the below information.
1. Open iMovie on your iPhone.
2. Click “Movie” to start your project
3. Select the video you want to convert.
4. Press “Create Movie.
5. Tap “Done” in the top left corner of the screen.
6. Press the share icon. It resembles a box with an upward-facing arrow in the middle.
7. Tap “Save to Files,” followed by “On My iPhone.”
8. Press “Save” again.
Your video will automatically export as an MP4 file when using the above steps.
Use iMovie on Your Mac
You can also airdrop your iPhone videos to your Mac to change them from MOV to MP4. There are two tools you can use on your computer, iMovie and QuickTime.
You Might Also Like: How to Add a Signature in Gmail on Mac
Airdrop Your Files to Your Mac
Before learning how to use QuickTime or iMovie to convert your files, you must know how to airdrop them. The required steps are below.
1. Open the Photos app on your phone.
2. Navigate to the videos album and find the clip you want to convert.
3. Tap on the share icon. It resembles a box with an upward-facing arrow in the middle.
4. Press “Airdrop.”
5. Select your Mac in the list of devices.
6. Wait for the airdrop process to finalize. You will receive a notification on your Mac.
7. Press “Accept” on your Mac to retrieve the file.
Use iMovie Itself
First, you can use iMovie on your Mac to indirectly learn how to convert MOV to MP4 on iPhone devices.
- Open iMovie on your Mac.
- Press the “File” menu, followed by “Import Media.”
- Select the video you want to convert.
- Press “Import Selected.”
- Click the share icon in the top right corner of iMovie.
- Choose the option labeled “Export.”
- Press “Next.”
- Provide a title for your video and a destination folder.
- Press “Save.”
You Might Also Like: How to Make a to-do List on Mac
Use QuickTime with iMovie
You can also use QuickTime to convert your MOV file to an MP4. QuickTime is another built-in tool that comes with every Apple computer.
1. Open the Quicktime Player on your Mac.
2. Press the “File” menu.
3. Click on “Export As.”
4. Choose the resolution you need for your video. You will need “4K” or “1080p” to get the file format you need.
5. Wait for the “Format” menu to show up.
6. Press “Greater Compatibility” to convert your movie to an MP4 file type.
7. Give your file a title and choose the destination.
8. Press “Save.”
Airdrop the Files Back to Your iPhone
After you convert the file in iMovie or QuickTime, you will need to airdrop it back to your iPhone. The steps below are similar to those already mentioned.
You Might Also Like: How to Edit a Song on Iphone
From the Desktop or File Folder
1. Press and hold “Control” on your keyboard and click on the file.
2. Click “Share,” followed by “Airdrop.”
3. Choose your iPhone in the list of devices.
4. Wait for the video to show up in the Photos app on your iPhone.
From the Finder Menu
- Open the Finder app on your Mac.
- Click on “Airdrop” in the sidebar on the left side of the Finder.
- Choose your iPhone in the list of devices.
- Drag and drop the files to the window.
- Wait for the file to show up in the Photos app on your iPhone.
You Might Also Like: How to Know if Someone Deleted Their Tinder
Use Third-Party Tools
Third-party software is also available if you want to answer, “how do I convert MOV to MP4?” These tools are in the Apple App Store, and one is accessible on your mobile browser.
All of the tools mentioned in the list below are free to use. Choose the one that is best for your needs, especially when considering one’s technological abilities.
FreeConvert has a tool that lets you convert MOV to MP4 free online. When you go to this website on your mobile browser, you can log in to save your files.
The steps below will help you get to the video converter.
- Go to freeconvert.com on your mobile browser.
- Click on the “Converters” menu.
- Choose “Video Converter.”
iPhone Video Converter
You can click on the “iPhone Video Converter” option on this website to get advanced features.
Change the “Video Aspect Ratio” or the “Video Screen Size” if you want to adjust the quality of your clips. Change the frame rate to adjust the time speed of your clips. You can also flip and rotate the videos as needed.
You Might Also Like: How to Mute Part of a Video on Iphone
Steps to Use FreeConvert
You can use the standard “Video Converter” or “iPhone Video Converter” and follow many of the same steps, as seen below. This process will help you learn how to convert MOV to MP4 on iPhone devices.
- Click on “Choose Files.”
- Find the video you need to convert.
- Select a plan if your video is larger than 1GB.
- Choose “MP4” in the available file types for your conversion.
- Press “Export” to save your new video.
- Advanced settings for your conversion
- Convert multiple files at once
- Convert a file that is, at most, 1GB for free
- You have to pay to convert a file larger than 1GB
- You can only export to a local drive
2. Video Converter App by Inverse.AI
The Video Converter and Compressor App are one of the fastest available on the market. It is compatible with both MOV and MP4 files.
You can download Video Converter and Compressor App from the Apple App Store. It is free to use, but there are in-app purchases.
Additional Features of Video Converter and Compressor App
There are several additional features available on the Video Converter and Compressor App. You can save any of your files to a cloud server.
There are several audio tools on the Video Converter and Compressor App. These features let you remove noise or lower it. You can also merge different audio portions.
There is also a video merger feature on this app. This feature allows you to combine more than one file.
Use the Video Converter and Compressor App
The steps below will help you use the Video Converter and Compressor App.
- Download the Video Converter and Compressor App from the Apple App Store.
- Click on the option labeled “Video Converter.”
- Upload the MOV file you need to convert.
- Click on the “Format” option.
- Press “MP4.”
- Adjust any of the other settings you need to change.
- Press “Convert.”
- Export the converted file.
You Might Also Like: How to Double Space on the Google Docs App
- The app lets you adjust audio and visual features
- You can choose from several video file types
- The app is free to use
- You will get your download in a matter of a couple of minutes at most
- The most advanced features cost extra
3. Video Converter & Compressor App
Finally, you can use the Video Converter & Compressor App. This software is one of the most user-friendly options, and you can download it for free.
You will see in-app advertisements when using this software, but you can pay to remove them. This premium feature also grants you more advanced editing features.
Benefits of Using the Video Converter & Compressor App
There are several benefits to using this MOV file to MP4 converter. You can save any of your uploaded files in a folder in the app. You can also create a playlist based on your clips.
You Might Also Like: Transcribe Voice Memos to Text
How to Use the Video Converter & Compressor App
You can use the Video Converter & Compressor App with the below steps.
- Download the Video Converter & Compressor App from the Apple App Store.
- Click on “Camera Roll” at the bottom of the screen.
- Choose the video you want to convert.
- Select “MP4” under video type.
- Save your new video.
- You will get a converted video in a matter of seconds
- You can create playlists from your videos
- You can save your videos in a folder in the app
- There are advertisements on the app
- You have to sign up for a premium subscription to remove the advertisements
You Might Also Like: How to Make a Video Louder on Iphone
Convert MOV to MP4 on iPhone
You now know how to convert MOV to MPR on iPhone devices. You can use iMovie on your iPhone or Mac. You can also use Quicktime on your computer, but you need to airdrop your files first.
There are also third-party tools that help you learn how to convert MOV to MP4 on iPhone devices. These range from websites to mobile apps, depending on your needs.
What is the easiest way to convert MOV to MP4? ›
- Launch CloudConvert's MOV to MP4 converter, click the “Select File” button, and upload your MOV video.
- Now click “Convert” to start converting the MOV video to MP4.
- Once done, click the green button that says “Download” to download your video in MP4 format.
iMovie can convert MOV files to MP4. However, with other professional converter software, you have the advantage of converting any number of MOV files to different formats like AVI, WEBM, FLV, etc.How do I convert MOV to MP4 manually? ›
- Open your computer map and select the corresponding MOV file.
- Check the “File name extensions” on the map header. This needs to be enabled to change the extension.
- Right click the file and hit "Rename".
- Change the extension “. mov” to “. mp4”.
While the iPhone supports MOV as an input format, it accepts the video only if it's compressed with specific codecs and encoded at a precise framerate. Its resolution, bitrate and frequency also need to fall within a certain range.What is the best free MOV to MP4 Converter? ›
- Leawo Video Converter.
- Zamzar online file conversion.
- Movavi Video.
- Wondershare UniConverter.
Your iPhone works only with . m4v, . mp4, and . mov file formats for videos.Can I convert MOV to MP4 for free? ›
Our free MOV to MP4 converter works the same on both desktop and mobile – simply launch the convert to MP4 tool, choose an MOV video to upload, and download your new MP4.How do I convert video to MP4 for free? ›
- Select. Upload a video from your device. Videos can be up to 1 hour long.
- Convert. Your video will automatically convert. Trim, mute, and preview your clip if you need to.
- Download. Instantly download your video as an MP4.
- Download, install, and run the MP4 file converter. Download Movavi Video Converter.
- Hit Add Media and select Add Video. Import the file you want to convert.
- Open the Video tab and select MP4, then choose the desired preset.
- Click Convert to launch the process.
- Step 1 Launch Wondershare MOV to MP4 converter and import files. ...
- Step 2 Edit files before MOV to MP4 conversion (Optional). ...
- Step 3 Choose Android/MP4 as an output format. ...
- Step 4 Convert MOV to MP4 for Android. ...
- Step 4 Access the converted MP4 videos.
What app converts iPhone videos to MP4? ›
Step 1: Go to CloudConvert and click the Select File option to select your iPhone video file. Step 2: Choose the MP4 option from the drop-down menu next to the Convert to option. Step 3: Click the Convert option to start converting iPhone video to MP4.How do you convert files on iPhone? ›
- Open the document that you want to convert.
- On iPhone, tap the More button . ...
- Tap Export.
- Choose a format for your document.
- If you chose EPUB, set any additional options.
- Choose how you want to send your file, like with Mail or Messages.
- Open Video Transcoder app on your Android phone.
- Tap the “SELECT VIDEO” button to load a MOV video.
- Select the container – MP4.
- Optionally, adjust video and audio settings.
- Tap “ENCODE” to convert . mov to . mp4 on Android.
The way Live Photos works is to capture a MOV video file every time you snap a photo with your iPhone. The MOV file includes three seconds of video and sound, so when viewed on a supported device, the image seems to come to life.Which video format can play in iPhone? ›
- MOV (QuickTime)
Does iPhone record in MP4 or MOV? By default, videos recorded by iPhone are always in the H. 264 MOV format. If needed, you can go to iPhone recording settings to change it to HEVC format, known as H.How do I make my iPhone not save a .MOV file? ›
- Go to Settings > Camera.
- Tap Formats.
- Tap Most Compatible. ...
- All new photos and videos will now use JPEG or H.
HandBrake is the only completely free piece of video conversion software on the list. It's open source and available for download on Windows, MacOS, and Linux.What is the best quality video format for iPhone? ›
Switch to 4k resolution
To give your iPhone video quality a boost, tap into the “Record Video” tab. If your phone supports it, switch to 4K resolution. This resolution will capture the most detail in your video footage.
iPhone can only recognize the file with M4V, MP4, and MOV extensions and compressed in or MPEG-4. If your MP4 file is not compressed in this way, it can't be opened or played smoothly with your iPhone. You need to convert MP4 to iPhone compatible format first.
What is the best free online MP4 Converter? ›
- Freemake Video Converter.
- DivX Converter.
- Movavi Video Converter.
- Gihosoft Free Video Converter.
- DVD VideoSoft Free Video Converter.
- AVS Video Converter.
It usually takes 30 minutes to 1.5 hours to convert a video of this kind.How do I edit .MOV files for free? ›
- Avidemux [Windows, macOS, Linux] ...
- Free Video Cutter [Windows] ...
- VSDC Free Video Editor [Windows] ...
- OpenShot [Windows, macOS, Linux] ...
- iMovie [macOS, iOS]
The term MP4 is an acronym for MPED-V AVC. Here, AVC stands for Advanced Video Coding. MPEG (Moving Picture Experts Group) created the MP4. It basically stores video, audio, text, and subtitles.Can iPhone record video in MP4? ›
Use Apple's built-in Spotlight Search if you can't find it on your home screen or App Library. Next, scroll down and tap the “Camera” option. Choose “Formats” from the top of the menu. Now your iPhone will keep using more compatible formats, including JPEG and MP4.How to convert MOV to MP4 without losing quality in Android phone? ›
However, VLC can help you convert MOVs to MP4. Simply launch VLC, open the media menu, and select Convert/Save. You will see a new window where you can add files. You will need to select the Convert/Save option and then choose Video - H.Where is the MP4 on my iPhone? ›
If it is saved to your iCloud drive, tap iCloud Drive. Navigate to the MP4 file. If the file is saved to a specific folder, tap that folder to view it's contents. Otherwise, scroll up and down to view all the files in the storage drive.How do I get MP4 on my iPhone? ›
- Connect your iPhone to computer with a USB cable and launch iTunes.
- Add MP4 files to iTunes Library. Click Files at the upper right corner > Add File to Library > Select the MP4 files > Tap Open.
- Sync MP4 files to iPhone.
How do I make a MOV into an MP4 on a phone? Our free MOV to MP4 converter works the same on both desktop and mobile – simply launch the convert to MP4 tool, choose an MOV video to upload, and download your new MP4.Why do iPhone videos Save as MOV? ›
The . mov files are the most compatible for Apple software. When you export a video project from iMovie or Final Cut Pro X on a Mac, the resulting file is a . mov file unless you specifically choose iOS devices.
What video format is best for iPhone? ›
- Best video codecs for iPhone and Motion: H.264 (AVC); H.265 (HEVC); Apple ProRes, ProRes RAW.
- Best video codecs for iPhone and Motion: MP4, MOV (QuickTime), 3GP.